The Skunk and Tiger

"Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge."-Horace Mann

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Republican's Bigoted Spin on First Muslim Congressman

Dispatches from the Culture Wars reports...
The Republican National Committee just put out a press release with some interesting spin on Rep. Ellison's swearing in ceremony, where he intends to use Thomas Jefferson's copy of the Quran:

"Rep. Ellison (D-Karachi) has chosen to swear his oath of office on a copy of the Quran originally owned by a famous infidel who publicly supported the violent insurgency that sought to overthrow a Christian government. That well known infidel left the Quran intact yet took a razor blade to the Bible, publishing his own version which denied the divinity of Christ, the virgin birth, the miracles and the resurrection. Clearly, this man's views are not consistent with our society based on Judeo-Christian values.".....

This quote is a joke from Dispatches from the Culture Wars however the two quotes below are real. I love that Republicans continue to reach out to their racist base with statements like this. The Religious Right loves the lie that our government is based on the Bible and not a secular institution. Some on the Right go as far to equate Islam with terrorism.

"I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America and to prevent our resources from being swamped."-Virgil Goode, Virginia congressman.

"OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques. I really don't believe that Islam is a religion of evil. I -- you know, I think it's being hijacked, quite frankly.

With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, "Let's cut and run." And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies."

And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."-Glen Beck, CNN Conservative Bobble Head interviewing Ellison.

1 Comments:

At January 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The post was a joke. I thought the "D-Karachi" would make that obvious enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home