The Skunk and Tiger

"Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge."-Horace Mann

Tuesday, April 25, 2006





Some Americans have the courage to stand up and shed light on the real issues that effect us. Take Laura Mallory of Loganville who has filed an appeal to remove all Harry Potter books from her local public school library. Mallory, like many evangelical Christians, struggles with the complex issues that face us today. However, when it comes to the War on Fiction, she can see clearly. Mallory, mother of three, admits that she has not read one Harry Potter book. Her source of information on the book's satanic material is a fanatic-sphere of like minded fundies who are intimidated by fictional wizards and witches. Mallory is only satisfied when make believe stories reinforce her make believe world. According to Gwinnett Daily Post-On her complaint form, she suggested they (Harry Potter Books) be replaced by C.S. Lewis’s “Chronicles of Narnia” series or Tim LaHaye’s “Left Behind: the Kids” series.-

But here is the real idiot quote:

“I think the anti-Christian bias — it’s just got to stop,” Mallory said. “And if we don’t say something, we’ll just keep getting pushed out of the schools. And I pay taxes, too, and I think that gives me a voice to speak out about this.”

Since when does paying taxes give you the right to censor literature for the rest of us. You can raise your three children under a rock if you want too, please do not drag everyone else down with you. There is no "War on Christians" or "Anti-Christian movement" (see my Bill Maher post). I may sound bitter, but this kind of Harry Hysteria drives me crazy. In the late nineties a town close to my home- Zeeland, Michigan was successful in removing Harry Potter Books, but they have much less integrity than any place in Georgia. On a side note I have never been able to finish a Harry Potter book because I'm a grown up and only have time for my comic books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home