The Skunk and Tiger

"Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge."-Horace Mann

Sunday, January 22, 2006

My wife made a delicious casserole tonight using leftover mexican food, probably the best casserole ever.
Moving along, I found a review of Steven King's new novel Cell at Aint it Cool News. I must say I was skeptical about the premiss but after reading the review I am excited to read it. It is King's attempt at a Zombie story. Since my friend Freddy Fan introduced me to Romero's classic Living Dead movies I've had an interest in this genre. I love the allegory much more than I like the gore. While I am a King fan I'm not a huge Horror enthusiast, and King is not your typical Horror writer, in my opinion his last true horror novel was ten years ago, Desperation. The books comes out this tuesday but I may have to wait for the paperback copy.
Which is alright because I have other books to finish. Today I did finish Sam Harris's End of Faith. I found it very abrasive and confrontational towards all religions, but the overall message can not be ignored or discarded. I agree with the author that religion (faith) should never trump reason, but Harris's suggestion that all faiths are antiquated superstitions and barriers to mankind's survival is a difficult argument to go along with. I highly recommend this book.

1 Comments:

At January 23, 2006, Blogger Cheerful Robot said...

Here is an article I found on Cell. It has links to the books website which supposedly has two long excerpts from the book that you can read:

http://www.horrorchannel.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4162

 

Post a Comment

<< Home