The Skunk and Tiger

"Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge."-Horace Mann

Sunday, January 15, 2006

I finished the first season of Lost on DVD. My prediction is that the Island is a time machine or time vortex that is obviously being exploited by some very bad people. The show gets a little over-dramatic and at times is predictable but it is probably the best show on network television and a nice replacement for old X-Files fans. I have not watched any of season two, I don't have the time or patience to sit through all the commercials, I'll have to wait for the next DVD installment.
If you like Lost the now finished series from HBO, Carnivale, is another creepy supernatural tale. Mind you it is HBO, and the story is much darker and its themes are more disturbing. It takes place during the Depression, and the set and wardrobe appear very accurate. While Canivale has an unearthly villian, the real and much more frightening antagonist is the Depression itself, and what choices people are left with when resources are minimal and spiritual significance heightened.

2 Comments:

At January 16, 2006, Blogger Cheerful Robot said...

As of yet I have never seen an episode of Lost. Eventually I'll get around to it. Is it really as good as the X-files (well, the early episodes anyway)?

 
At January 16, 2006, Blogger yelling_at_the_radio said...

Well nothing will ever be as good as X-files, but Lost is he only show to come close on Network Television. Battle Star Gallactica is realy good on the Sci-Fi channel but I have not been able to watch as it because it is on so late and Sam makes me sleepy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home