The Skunk and Tiger

"Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge."-Horace Mann

Tuesday, February 14, 2006





1996-Boys For Pele/Tori Amos: Yes, I admit it I was once a Tori fan (and deep down I still am). I bought this album the day it came out, I remeber it snowed that day while I listened and folded laundry. My taped copy got stuck in the player of my Chevy Nova that summer and Tori became the permanent soundtrack for the rest of that car's life. 1996 was the year I met some of my closest friends at my college and it was through these friends I would ultimalty meet the love of my life and my future wife, who also loves these classic Tori songs.





1997-Time Out Of Mind/Bob Dylan: 1997 Blew!-for a thousand reasons, but Mars was cool! The place I worked at for four years was liquidated which was a good thing in the long run (for me). I could have chosen to work there forever, because it would have been easy. I would be insane by now. Time Out of Mind won a grammy. Yo Soy Bomb!



1998-Is This Desire?/PJ Harvey
The year of two awesome road trips. I visited Panama City Beach in Florida and the best city in the world Toronto, Canada each with a different group of friends. This is Harvey's best album in my opinion but others would argue her 2000 release is the best, they may be right. I recall hearing this music in the streets of both cities.




1999-Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department/Robert Pollard & Doug Gillard:The year of my freedom. This has to be the ugliest album cover ever but has the coolest name. The songs are the best of any Pollard side project.



2000-All Hands on the Bad One/Sleater-Kinney: Bad year for music but there were some gems like this one. Finished my degree and met my future wife.



2001-Amnesiac/Radio Head: Moved to Kentucky. 9/11. Difficult transition but Radiohead has always made a great escape from reality.



2002-When The Man Comes Around/Johnny Cash: Tied the knot.


2003-Lost Planets and Phantom Voices/Tobin Sprout: I remember smoking while driving through beautiful rural Kentucky listening to Tobin.




2004-Funeral/Arcade Fire: Our son, Sam, was born and our lives have never been the same. He amazes us everyday. Don't let the title of this album fool you. It is positive, loud and alive music.



2005-Get Behind Me Satan/White Stripes: I returned to Michigan a husband and a father. It is like that line in Death of a Salesman "I went into the jungle a young man and when I returned, by God, I was ritch" or something like that. That is how I feel about my last four years in the Bluegrass state. Miss Kentucky and my friends there, but glad to be back with old ones here. Sam loves this band and dances to every song.

2006-? To early to decide whatr the significant album of '06 will be. But its going to be a good one



Happy Valentines Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home